Monday, November 22, 2010

I am just about finished working on some some works on paper based on my Outback trip. These are larger paintings and are in acrylic and gouache. I have rediscovered gouache and love its matte finish and the clarity of its colours. I'm hoping to be able to find somewhere that I can purchase large tubes of paint. The medium used for a painting really does influence the whole look of the work especially the markmaking. The subject matter matter demands its own unique treatment. I usually work in an impasto style where the brushmark is evident. I prefer to use oils but do also work in acrylic. Gouache, however, is a flat, flowing paint so results in flat, uniform areas of colour. I am using gouache with oilstick and charcoal.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

I tried goache once. Very difficult! I'm impressed with your results.

Oils and acrylics seem like very physical media, almost like cooking, if that makes sense? I feel badly that painting never really 'took' with me.