Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hiatus. Creative block

For a long time I have not had much to write about. Maybe, however, that in itself is something to write about. I am in the middle of a creative block. I have a number of works that are partly finished but have not touched them for a couple of weeks or so now. At this time of year the duties (or should I say "celebrations") of Christmas tend to take over as well which will make dealing with it worse. It was heartening to have sold a couple of works last week. It is nice to think of my work going into someone's home and hopefully giving them pleasure. I am still, however, finding it impossible to get myself to go into the studio.
It is difficult to climb out of a block period. Some people use random art work including mixed media work, with no object in mind. I think a lot of the problem is a consciusness of having to "get it right". Working towards an exhibition encourages this way of thinking.

This gives a few ideas. Using a different scale and loose mark-making may be the way to go to free up and get "in the groove" again. I do like the idea of pinning large sheets of paper to the wall and drawing large and free with no object other than the enjoyment of the process in mind. I think it was Kokowshka that recommended drawing with the whole body, The sweep of the arm not just the hand. Jackson Pollock is an obvious contemporary example of this. I will use this as a guide and see what happens.
This video isn't really on creative block but interesting anyway.

No images of my work this time. Hopefully with the next post.

No comments: