Saturday, August 30, 2008

Europe




Next week I am going to France and Italy for the first time. I am very excited at the prospect of seeing "in the flesh" the works of art I have read and heard so much about. To stand before the Burghers of Calais, The Thinker or The Kiss. It will be amazing. As a painter I am especially interested in the graphic arts. I will visit all the famous museums and galleries in Paris. I will have two weeks in the south of France so will have time to go to Arle, Avignon, Antibes. I particularly want to see the work of Monet and Cezanne. The first influences my own art with his mysterious and subtle blends of colour. Cezanne had a true honesty and simplicity in his work. He honours structure and composition. To see his Mont St Victoire will be a privilege.

No comments: