Tuesday, July 15, 2008


My artwork began with working in fibre working from a studio at Salamanca Place in Hobart. I was born in Canberra and have since lived in Melbourne, Hobart and Northern New South Wales. From living in Hobart with it's blue skies and lush green hills I moved to Armidale, then to Moree and then to the country outside Tamworth. Now I am living in the country just outside of Armidale again. It will be interesting to see new artwork originating once again from this rocky country. I began painting as this art form seemed to best reflect the land. The land and it's use was a dominant element in my new rural environment. The granite and eucalypt colours of the Armidale area contrast with the Deep browns of the Black Soil Plains and the worn, rounded yellow hills of the dry Tamworth countryside. The colours of the land reflect the underlying geography, the farming use of the land and the effects of the climate on vegetation.

No comments: